Althorpe Island

Althorpe Island is located 8 kilometres south of Cape Spencer, which is at the foot of Yorke Peninsula, South Australia. The island covers 96 hectares and its sheer cliffs rise 93 metres from the ocean. Captain Matthew Flinders first sighted the island on 20 March 1802. There is some conjecture as to whether Flinders named it after Lord Spencer’s estate, Althorp (without an ‘e’), or his eldest son and heir. At the time, Lord Spencer presided over the board of the Admiralty.

Map

Sources:Geoffrey H. Manning, Manning’s Place Names of South Australia Form Aaron Creek to Zion Hill, (2006), Gould Books, Modbury

http://www.lighthouse.net.au/lights/sa/Althorpe%20Island/Althorpe%20Island.htm

Share this page:


Comments or Questions:

No comments yet.

css.php