Cape Borda

Captain Morgan called it ‘cape boder’, which is the misspelled name of ‘Cape Borda’. Cape Borda is a headland situated at the north-western end of Kangaroo Island, 70 kilometres from Kingscote and Nepean Bay. French explorer Nicholas Baudin named the cape on 16 April 1802 after French mathematician, physicist, political scientist and sailor, Jean-Charles de Borda (1733-1799). Among his several significant achievements, Borda contributed to the development of the reflecting circle, an important aid to navigation and precursor of the sextant.

Map

Sources:

Geoffrey H. Manning, Manning’s Place Names of South Australia Form Aaron Creek to Zion Hill, (2006), Gould Books, Modbury

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_Borda

 

http://www.australiaforeveryone.com.au/discovery/names2.htm

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflecting_instrument#Reflecting_circles

Share this page:


Comments or Questions:

No comments yet.

css.php