Shadwell Basin

Shadwell Basin was the London Dock from which those sailing on the Cygnet embarked in 1836. The Shadwell Basin still exists and is located on the north bank of the River Thames at Wapping, in the east end of London. The dock at Shadwell Basin was built between 1828 and 1832 and the Shadwell Entrance provided access to the River Thames. The origins of the name ‘Shadwell’ are uncertain. Shadwell may have been named after an Anglo-Saxon word for a shallow creek or bay, or a spring that issued from beside a churchyard dedicated to St Chad, a seventh-century Anglo-Saxon bishop.

Click here to view Shadwell Basin on google maps

Share this page:


Comments or Questions:

No comments yet.

css.php