Friday 9 December 1836

[, on board the wrote. | Read source notes.]

9 December–Moderate and cloudy; the early part was employed in unrigging the hatch-boat, as we found that towing her full rigged occasioned several delays, by her mast getting under the boom in stays, or her bowsprit against the counter. At ten we got under way, and meeting with almost as much trouble in getting out as we did in coming in, we were at last drifted so far to the southward as to oblige us to run for an anchorage under Taylor’s Island. (I insert here a short extract from my letter written this evening to the Commissioners.)

Got under way to return to Gulf Saint Vincent and prosecute my survey there, for I have been considering much of this Gulf, and think it best to give it up entirely for the present, for should there be a good harbour and good soil higher up, yet the dangers that surround the entrance are too many for a new colony, if any other equally good can be found, and the prospects on the eastern side of Gulf Saint Vincent are so promising that I do not like losing more time here.

Share this page:

Comments or Questions:

No comments yet.