Your search for 'Samuel Stephens' found:

Journal Entries written by: Samuel Stephens

Wednesday 27 July 1836

[, on board the wrote.]

After a pleasant voyage from England in the S.A. Co.’s Barque Duke of York we reached Nepean Bay Kangaroo Island and brought up in 4 fathoms water at ½ past 10a.m. we lowered a boat and Captain Morgan, Mr. Beare, myself and 5 hands went ashore. I was the first who ever set foot on the shore as a settler in the Colony of South A. We rambled a little while in the bush then examined the shore for some distance and returned at dark well pleased and well tired

[ Read the full journal for: Wednesday 27 July 1836 ]

Thursday 28 July 1836

[, on board the wrote.]

Sent a boat ashore with my hands to erect 2 tents for the temporary accommodation of the parties who might land. Directed them to spend the rest of the day in trying to find fresh water. At noon put off in a boat and traced down the N.E. shore of the Bay in the hope of finding the salt Lagoon and a good place for landing the cargo. Did not succeed, but found a small river salt at the entrance but fresh about 3 miles up. We rowed up it about 6 miles saw many thousands of ducks and swans (which our guns and shot were too light to kill) made a fire had coffee and at dark set off back. This river not being laid down on any chart nor before as I believed known I named The Morgan, as a mark of respect to Captain Morgan, of our barque, “Duke of York”. The entrance is over a bank of sand having 3 to 6 feet of water on it at high tide, but nearly dry at low water, and at first sight it appears only one of a number of pools of water. For some distance it is about 40 yards wide, and 3 to 6 feet deep, it afterwards draws it to 10 yards in width, but increases in depth.

[ Read the full journal for: Thursday 28 July 1836 ]

Friday 29 July 1836

[, on board the wrote.]

Spent some hours in carefully examining the N.W. shore of the Bay for fresh water and left my men under Mr. Beare, to dig on the beach at what I thought the most likely spot. Returned to the ship, dined and set out in a boat with Capn. and 4 hands to trace the “Morgan” further up. We rowed till dark then rested made a fire and had coffee and supper at 10p.m. it being clear moon light pulled on again until prevented from working the oars by the quantity of dead timber laying over it, made 2 paddles out of the boat seat and pulled on again till ½ past 1a.m. when we were unable to get any further by reason of the dead timber, landed, tied the boat to a tree, made a fire, rested and had tea and coffee, then put our things under a tarpaulin, and set forth at ¼ to 2a.m.

[ Read the full journal for: Friday 29 July 1836 ]

Saturday 30 July 1836

[, on board the wrote.]

to trace the River Bank, intending to return to our boat to breakfast, but at ½ past 3 finding that we had suddenly and most unexpectedly lost the river (by turning a little from the bank into a bed of small tall brushwood in order to avoid climbing over a quantity of log timber) and being unable to recover it for want of an elevated spot of land or a tree from which to get a look out, we judged it best to lay-to till day-light, so made a fire and sat round it wondering no less how we lost the river, than how we were to find it again. At 6a.m. having held a council as to what should be done and having found the bearings of the sea by a small chart and compass which most providentially I brought with me and without which we should most probably have been lost we decided it would be best to shape our course due N.N.E. in hope of gaining the shore as we had no chance of finding our way back to the river. The only provision we had was 3 biscuits amongst us all. After various perplexities such as it is impossible to describe we reached the sea at 5p.m. and made a fire to dry ourselves and cook a Crow which I had shot and which was the only living creature we had been able to get near. The Captain and myself divided a leg of this small bird between us and let the men have the rest. We had just day light enough to examine the shore and found by the chart and bearings that we were in Napean Bay 12 miles west of our ship and hid from the sight of her by a projecting point of land. At 6p.m. we started again and at ¼ to 10p.m. we reached our tents where our men got food water and fire and from which we hailed the ship and got a boat sent off for us. On our way to the tents we found fresh water in the well I had left the men digging and drank of it with avidity and now I found that our Barque, “Lady Mary Pelham”, had that morning arrived from Liverpool and was anchored in safety by the “Duke of York”.

[ Read the full journal for: Saturday 30 July 1836 ]

Sunday 31 July 1836

[, on board the wrote.]

Rose at ½ past 7a.m. much refreshed and after a bath and breakfast felt nothing the worse for the extraordinary exertion of yesterday. Capn. Ross and Mr. Birdseye came off from the L.M.P. to attend prayers on board our ship and I returned with them and took dinner. After which I was obliged to send […]

[ Read the full journal for: Sunday 31 July 1836 ]

Monday 1 August 1836

[, on board the wrote.]

Had Mrs. Beare taken on shore, then took two hands and the well borer and went once more in search of water and a suitable place to discharge the cargo. Succeeded better than I expected and fixed upon a spot which I think will be our first town, then went on board a boat with Captain Morgan and [tooltip color=”grey” text=”The action or process of measuring the depth of water with a sounding line, a line marked at intervals of fathoms and weighted at one end. A fathom is a unit of length equal to 6 feet (1.83 metres).”] sounded [/tooltip] the Bay nearly to Point Marsden. Returned to the ship at 8p.m. much exhausted having neither eaten nor drank anything since 5a.m.

[ Read the full journal for: Monday 1 August 1836 ]

Tuesday 2 August 1836

[, on board the wrote.]

Having given Mr. Birdseye directions for the men during the day went on board the Pelham at ½ past 5a.m. to breakfast and at ½ past 6 in company with Captains Morgan and Ross put off in a boat in search of the one we had lost in the River Morgan. Shot a swan and some ducks on our way and when about 8 miles up the river fell in with John Day a resident on the Island, took him on board explained to him the reason of our coming to the Island and visited his residence. His partner Henry Wallan is the oldest resident on the Island having been here 18 years. They seem very industrious and steady people having a nice little farm of about 5 acres (two of which are under a fine crop of wheat) 8 or 10 pigs, some poultry and various vegetables, purchased two pigs for the ships brought away a bag of turnips and left two men and 1 boat to come down the following day with the pigs and settlers, reached the Pelham about 9p.m. and was not a little surprised to find that all my men and the crews of both vessels had struck work! Saw my men immediately and after some lengthy conversation was pleased to find them agree to return to their alleigance. Retired to bed on board the Duke of York at 2a.m.

[ Read the full journal for: Tuesday 2 August 1836 ]

Wednesday 3 August 1836

[, on board the wrote.]

Spent the whole day in endeavouring to restore peace on board the ships. The grievance was the having to bring out and land passengers and cargo without some remuneration and both crews positively refused to lower another boat unless they first received the sum they wished. To the Pelham I sent £40 through their Captain to pay the remainder of the money promised them at Liverpool by consent of Mr. Hurry and I further consented to give them 1 [tooltip color=”grey” text=”Also known as a ‘piece of eight’, this large silver coin was minted in Spain from 1497. Widely used in the Americas, Europe and the Far East, it became a form of world currency and was widely used in trade, including within the British Empire, where there was often a shortage of coinage. It was the basis for the American dollar and equated to approximately one dollar in value. Pieces of eight were also associated in the popular imagination with piracy.”] Spanish dollar [/tooltip] per man for landing the cargo. To the crew of the Duke of York I gave £50 which I had partly promised in Torbay (England and for this sum they promised to land passengers and cargo in good order. Henry Wallan and John Day came to our ship today and brought the 2 pigs. I was ashore at the time and for 2 hours hailed the ship (and fired 7 shots to her) but could not get a boat put off for me although the Captain knew I had asked the settlers to dine with me and look at the act of Parliament and other Documents connected with the Colony. Captain Ross brought the men ashore, and I returned by his boat having first agreed with Henry Wallan to give me his service and advice in any way I wished for the space of 3 months from this day in consideration of the payment to him of £1:10:0 and his provisions. On reaching the ship spoke to Captain Morgan and Mate about what I considered the very uncourteous behaviour in not answering my hail. This was the first time since we left England that I had made the least complaint to captain Morgan ( though I ought to have done so more than once) and I was perfectly astonished to find him get so warm and use to me language so exceedingly disrespectful and unprovoked. Henry Wallan and John Day acknowledge me as Magistrate of the Island and on arrival of the Governor wish to retain their farm on payment of the purchase money.

[ Read the full journal for: Wednesday 3 August 1836 ]

Thursday 4 August 1836

[, on board the wrote.]

Augt. 4th, 5th and 6th. The ships commenced and continued to discharge cargo and so rapidly that it was with difficulty I could by any means manage to save the damageable parts from being seriously injured by the weather; succeeded however by the evening of the 6th in erecting by means of my tarpaulins (without […]

[ Read the full journal for: Thursday 4 August 1836 ]

Sunday 7 August 1836

[, on board the wrote.]

7th (Sunday) Went on shore in the morning & Performed Divine Service under one end of our Store, returned on board being sent for to see 3 Settlers who had come from another part of the Island (Near Kangaroo Head) went on board the Pellam to tea, to see Capn Ross about Mrs Thompson & […]

[ Read the full journal for: Sunday 7 August 1836 ]

Monday 8 August 1836

[, on board the wrote.]

8th. Continued landing cargo and lengthened store and commenced digging the well, offered to hire the boat from the Islanders to attend on us but as they were exhorbitant in their charge declined it. Most of the men are very troublesome, impertinent, idle and dissatisfied and it is all but impossible to keep them in anything like working trim. Mr. Beare is entirely occupied in attending on his wife who is quite deranged. Mr. Birdseye is consuming unnecessary time in making for himself a needlessly comfortable temporary dwelling. Mr. Shrevogel I am obliged to leave on board the Duke of York for sundry purposes. I have to bear up against all, and struggle with all both mentally and physically. I thank God however I feel cool, collected, determined and happy and doubt not we shall get all in good humour and better order before long. I receive considerable assistance from the Islander Mr. Wallan, who is really a worthy fellow.

[ Read the full journal for: Monday 8 August 1836 ]

Tuesday 9 August 1836

[, on board the wrote.]

Captain Morgan landed before my store 28 (less 2 landed before) casks of Hamburgh Beef and Pork which he had brought in bond from London for this place. There is a good deal of quarrelling the ships and on shore and I have my hands full to overflowing! We continued to land and receive cargo as also private baggage for which I have erected a separate temporary store. The Rats, Ants and divers other rational and irrational beings are very troublesome.

[ Read the full journal for: Tuesday 9 August 1836 ]

Wednesday 10 August 1836

[, on board the wrote.]

10th Continued to employ the hands as yesterday. This morning was quite disgusted to hear Mr Birdseye & Capn Ross quarrelling & using oaths & low passionate language to each other on the beach & the sailors round them. By keeping cool & firm myself succeeding in quelling the disturbance. The Aggressor I considered to […]

[ Read the full journal for: Wednesday 10 August 1836 ]

Thursday 11 August 1836

[, on board the wrote.]

Finished or nearly so, landing the cargoes. Allowed the men the day to make more comfortable places for themselves to sleep in. Had at his own request a long conversation with a Mr. Chadwick one of the L.M.P.’s sailors respecting the state of discipline &c. on board that ship, he attributes no blame to Captain Ross but says unless she have better subordinate officers she will be ruined and the voyage lost. Last night her crew were all drunkwith stolen (supposed so) liquor and behaved in the most disgraceful manner. … Some of the men belonging to the Duke of York being very dissatisfied and one of them (her Cooper) having told the Captain he was determined to leave her in the first port she made but would prefer being left with me if I would receive and employ him, and Captain Morgan having privately recommended me to do so if I thought the man likely to be useful I have agreed …

[ Read the full journal for: Thursday 11 August 1836 ]

Friday 12 August 1836

[, on board the wrote.]

12th Landed the remainder of Cargo Baggage &c from the Duke of York & took up my abode under my tent. Received remains of Cargo from L.M.P. with bill of Lading lists of stores &c to sign. Had a conversation with Capn Ross about his ship & candidly told him all that Chadwick had said […]

[ Read the full journal for: Friday 12 August 1836 ]

Saturday 13 August 1836

[, on board the wrote.]

Rose at ¼ to 6a.m. and finding no hands stirring sounded my morning call on my trumpet which soon brought all out. Set the men to work in various ways. At 7a.m. a boat from the L.M.P. with Mr. Edmonds (3rd Mate) and 1 watch reached the shore the men having had that day allowed them a ramble. Mr. Edmonds thinking that I had heard something to the disparagement of his character wished and received a private audience and retired as he said (and as he ought to be) perfectly satisfied. I took this opportunity of urging upon him the necessity of his giving his utmost support to the Captain (against whom I hear no complaints except from Mr. Birdseye) and particularly for the sake of his own and brother officers’ characters endeavouring to his utmost to prevent the purloining by the crew of the ships small stores, more especially ardent spirits. He received my observations as they were meant and we parted pleasantly. …  In the evening settled with the men (having previously allowed them to buy from Mr. Birdseye at the store 1 pint of rum per man for their next week’s consumption – on condition that if I found the same improperly used I would allow it no more) and soon afterwards learned that the sailors on liberty from the L.M.P. were not gone aboard but were carousing with some of my men. On learning this and that they had (as was generally supposed) brought rum ashore with them endeavoured by various means to get them on board without effect. In a short time afterwards the conduct of the party became so outrageous as to warrant the supposition that an attack was meditated upon the store with a view of possessing themselves of a further supply of spirits. Quarrelling, fighting and obscene and blasphemous discourse and threatening language having proceeded to an alarming height and I being able to obtain the assistance of only 2 men on whom I could depend I armed myself and them and mounted guard till 7a.m. on the following morning (Sunday) being during the whole time in momentary expectation, spite of my exertions to prevent it, of being compelled to fire upon the poor depraved and deluded beings by which I was surrounded.

[ Read the full journal for: Saturday 13 August 1836 ]

Sunday 14 August 1836

[, on board the wrote.]

at 7 a.m. A boat (for the 2nd time) came ashore for the purpose of taking off the L.M.P. sailors and after a mixture of persuasions and threats they were prevailed upon to depart. During the previous evening while absent on duty at a little distance my tent had been entered and plundered of some private stores (Cheese Ham and Wine) … This morning I hoisted for the first time the British Admiralty Ensign and decorated with the Company’s flag and colours a booth which I had prepared for the performance of Divine Service. In the evening a man of the name of Cooper who has been residing on the Island for 7 years and who it appears has 3 acres of land under cultivation on the Western side of the Point Marsden came round to us and after having had some lengthy conversation with him I arranged with him for the service of himself and his boat so long as I might require it… If I can get a well of fresh water hereabouts I shall name this place Kingscote and it will be at no distant period a port and harbour of the very first class for ships under the burthen of 500 tons…

[ Read the full journal for: Sunday 14 August 1836 ]

Monday 15 August 1836

[, on board the wrote.]

… This evening spent some time in conversation with two settlers, Bates and Nathaniel Thomas, who have a little place on the N.E. corner of the Island and who have appeared among us this afternoon for the first time. I made to Bates a proposal for his services for 3 months which he is to answer in the morning. These are the two men who were commissioned by the Governor of V.D.L. [Van Diemen’s Land] to take the natives who killed Captain Barker. All the settlers we have seen are free men. Most of them have native women with them who assist in catching game (which is now nearly destroyed here) and some of them have children by those women. I have to-day made several arrangements for the more effectual protection of ourselves and the Company’s property and have landed Miss Beare (my intended wife) to be near my tent, manage my domestic affairs and keep a sharp look out when I am away… Miss Beare and her brother’s children are sleeping under my tent and I shall mount guard till 2 a.m. then lay down in my boat cloak.

[ Read the full journal for: Monday 15 August 1836 ]

Tuesday 16 August 1836

[, on board the wrote.]

Called the hands at ½ past 5 A.M. set them to work &c at ½ past 8 saw a sail rounding Point Marsden, on looking at her with my glass found her to be a Schooner, hoisted the Ensign (having first agreed with Bates for his services for 3 months) manned a boat belonging to […]

[ Read the full journal for: Tuesday 16 August 1836 ]

Wednesday 17 August 1836

[, on board the wrote.]

At day light (having arranged with Captain Ross that if the sailors would not do their duty I should put hands aboard to take her to V.D.L. [Van Diemens’ Land] sailors and all), called all hands aft and finding that they would do their duty if one of her mates (Mr. Dawsea) were taken out of her, consulted with the Captain and officers on the subject and having arranged that it should be so…

[ Read the full journal for: Wednesday 17 August 1836 ]

Thursday 18 August 1836

[, on board the wrote.]

Called the hands as usual put them to work & then took my boat, & in Company with Capn Martin went to examine the Salt Lagoon (the one at the bottom of shoal bay) returned & dined on board the John Pirie having decided that for the sake of obtaining grass & fresh water it […]

[ Read the full journal for: Thursday 18 August 1836 ]

Friday 19 August 1836

[, on board the wrote.]

Signed Capn Ross receipt for stores and Cargo pr L.M.P. settled various matters with him & arranged that he should call on me in the morning to finish other business & take his leave. Spent the rest of the day on shore forwarding various concerns of moment.

[ Read the full journal for: Friday 19 August 1836 ]

Saturday 20 August 1836

[, on board the wrote.]

Called the hands as usual & spent the greater part of the day in forwarding work on shore. Capn Martin took dinner with me under my Tent & soon afterwards the Mate of the L.M.P. came to inform me that Capn Ross was confined to his bed through illness & wished to see me. Settled […]

[ Read the full journal for: Saturday 20 August 1836 ]

Sunday 21 August 1836

[, on board the wrote.]

21st (Sunday) Set off as arranged for the sail seen the previous evening & intended to return to prayers but was prevented doing so by the weather suddenly becoming too boisterous. The sail turned out to be the “Rapid”. All were well. Capn Martin next morning (for we had to remain on board) assisted to […]

[ Read the full journal for: Sunday 21 August 1836 ]

Monday 22 August 1836

[, on board the wrote.]

22nd at 2 P.M. she anchored by the L.M.P. I immediately went ashore. Settled various matters with Capn Ross, arranged the work for the men, wrote to Mr Angas & retired to rest.

[ Read the full journal for: Monday 22 August 1836 ]

Tuesday 23 August 1836

[, on board the wrote.]

23rd Rose at ¼ past 5, being exceedingly wet and tempestuous could not set the hands to work. Finished my papers for the L.M.P. boarded her took my leave of Capn Ross & immediately after dinner returned & employed the hands at such work as the weather would permit.

[ Read the full journal for: Tuesday 23 August 1836 ]

Wednesday 24 August 1836

[, on board the wrote.]

24th. Sent of a boat & 5 hands with tools & provisions to the Salt Lagoon to prepare a place for themselves & the stock &c under the Direction of Mr Brown. Spent an hour or two in shewing the Settlement & its vicinity to Coll Light, who took lunch under my tent. This afternoon the hands at the well came to water which sure enough turned out to be slightly Brackish, & thereupon (although we have an abundant supply from another source) I was once more prayed to abandon the place. It is not, however, my intention to act so stupidly, untill I can find a better & for all commercial purposes I am tolerably certain I cannot find a better on the Island. This morning at day light the L.M.P. got under weigh but owing to the wind shifting came to an anchor again a few miles further out. Finding that spite of all the precautions I had been able to take the small stock of ardent spirits in our store was improperly used, I ordered all that remained to be got ready in the morning for sending off to the John Pirie, Capn Martin kindly consenting to receive it. Had some conversation with Mr Birdseye about his very great inattention to his duty & hope in future he will take more interest in the Company’s service.

[ Read the full journal for: Wednesday 24 August 1836 ]

Thursday 25 August 1836

[, on board the wrote.]

25th Last night was so tempestuous that I thought for some time both myself & my tent would have been carried away. This morning on rising at ¼ past 5 could not see the L.M.P. even with my glass & was fearful she had been obliged to slip & run to the E. during the […]

[ Read the full journal for: Thursday 25 August 1836 ]

Friday 26 August 1836

[, on board the wrote.]

26th After rising at ¼ past 5, setting the hands to work breakfasting &c started at ¼ past 7 in my (hired) whale boat manned with 3 hands instead of 5 (I always steer myself) for the Salt Lagoon, distant about 8 miles. Arranged sundry matters there gave rough directions for various operations, roughly measured off 80 Acres of land for the [tooltip color=”grey” text=”The South Australian Company”] Company [/tooltip](with frontage to the Salt Lagoon of 1760 Yards & depth of 220 Yards.) On my return found Coll Light & party dining (on their own provisions & at Miss Beare’s special invitation) under my office tent. Had conversation with him on sundry trivial matters. After I had dined Capn Martin came ashore & we had a long talk about his Carpenter & one of his sailors both of which I agreed to engage ashore. I was to day very much insulted & annoyed by Mr Birdseye who I am reluctantly obliged to consider as a person determined to make as much of & do as little for the [tooltip color=”grey” text=”The South Australian Company”] Company [/tooltip] as he legally dare do. I am most awkwardly situated as to officers & though both by day & night I do more than ever I thought I could have performed I am grieved to see that business is not conducted by any means to my satisfaction.

[ Read the full journal for: Friday 26 August 1836 ]

Saturday 27 August 1836

[, on board the wrote.]

27th Spent the day in making various arrangements ashore Received (pr Duke of York’s boats) a note from Capn Ross about the runaway sailors of the L.M.P. Got all the parties concerned to consent to the Marriage of Mary Ann Powell & Wm C. Staple the former a daughter of one of the emigrants the latter one of the “John Pirie’s” Sailors who wished to remain ashore. I had some little difficulty to contend with but am pleased to think that 2 persons who would otherwise have been a scandal to the settlement are now likely rather to be a credit to it. I have taken the necessary affidavits from them both & they are to be married to morrow morning by Capn Martin on board his Schooner.

[ Read the full journal for: Saturday 27 August 1836 ]

Sunday 28 August 1836

[, on board the wrote.]

28th (Sunday). The wedding took place this morning with all becoming solemnity & all due honours.

[ Read the full journal for: Sunday 28 August 1836 ]

Monday 29 August 1836

[, on board the wrote.]

29th Sent half the live stock to the Salt Lagoon & propose sending the remainder tomorrow. Two of the Company’s Servants James Jones & Joseph Jones refused to proceed with Mr Dawsea & the other hands to the Lagoon & assist in getting the stock from the boat to our station unless I would allow […]

[ Read the full journal for: Monday 29 August 1836 ]

Tuesday 30 August 1836

[, on board the wrote.]

30eth This morning early the L.M.P. got under weigh & at 2.P.M. rounded Kangaroo Head. I sent the rest of the live stock to the Lagoon (except 1 ram & 1 pig).

[ Read the full journal for: Tuesday 30 August 1836 ]

Wednesday 31 August 1836

[, on board the wrote.]

31st Rose at ¼ to 6 A.M. & finding that neither men nor officers were stirring (I had arranged that Mr Dawsea was to call the men this morning at ½ past 5) I sounded the call on my trumpet & soon had the men out, no officer of higher rank appearing to take my orders I at 10 minutes past 6 called Mr Wallan the oldest of the Islanders & a man whom I introduced here & always treated as an officer & to him I explained at length the way in which I wished to have a store built to receive “John Pirie’s” Cargo. I directed him to take all hands with him & set about it immediately. All this time I was out in my shirt shoes & dressing gown & at ½ past 6 as I was going to my tent to dress I saw Mr Beare approaching. I took no notice but went into the tent & prepared to dress, when he came in front & without prefixing or adding any other word called out (I supposed to me) “what are the hands to go about today”. I replied “I have told Mr Wallan” & Mr Beare retired. I may as well here record that this was the first morning Mr Beare had ever appeared to receive in any way my orders as from the severe affliction of his wife I had permitted him to remain with her & had further allowed him some hands to assist him occasionally, & had had his 4 Children under the care of his sister living under a tent by me & at my expense. Two nights before this (up to this time I had every reason to pity & respect him) I had mentioned to him that on the morning of 31st I should begin to build a store &c, & that if he would speak to me in the morning (of the 30th) I would explain to him how it should be done he did not however do so ——

[ Read the full journal for: Wednesday 31 August 1836 ]

Thursday 1 September 1836

[, on board the wrote.]

Sepr. 1st. I set the hands to work this morning upon the store & at ½ past 6 sent a message to request Mr Beare would immediately see me under my tent, he replied “if Mr Stephens has any communication for me he must make it in writing & it shall be attended to”. I […]

[ Read the full journal for: Thursday 1 September 1836 ]

Friday 2 September 1836

[, on board the wrote.]

… Some of the runaway sailors coming in I gave them a small supply of provisions but told them I could not further communicate with them while Capn Ross was in the Bay. I had to manage the men myself to day as usual, having no one to assist me, except Mr Birdseye who appears at the store for 3 or 4 hours in the middle of the day.

[ Read the full journal for: Friday 2 September 1836 ]

Saturday 3 September 1836

[, on board the wrote.]

3rd Called the hands at ½ past 5 A.M. & went on as before & often, very often, looked out in hopes of seeing the Emma that I might get one officer at last to stand by his post & assist me in the present emergency. I have still no communication from the L.M.P. At night paid the men & afterwards received a note from the two men (James & Joseph Jones) who deserted their duty last Monday begging that I would receive them again!!

[ Read the full journal for: Saturday 3 September 1836 ]

Sunday 4 September 1836

[, on board the wrote.]

4th (Sunday) This day had been spent by us quietly & orderly but it has been a [tooltip color=”grey” text=”a gloomy state of mind”] Melancholy [/tooltip] day to me. I cannot & will not endure this state of things it shall be mended by some means or other. I had no divine service to day. Capn Martin spent the afternoon with me ashore & we agreed as a last effort to establish order (by fair means) he should invite Mr Beare & Mr Birdseye to lunch on board the following morning & that I should follow in my boat & try whether face to face with them in his Cabin we could not all come to some better understanding.

[ Read the full journal for: Sunday 4 September 1836 ]

Monday 5 September 1836

[, on board the wrote.]

5th Rose & set the hands to work &c as usual – at ½ past 9 Mr Birdseye made his first appearance & was asked by Capn Martin (who was ashore with me by 10 M. P. 6 A.M.) to go on board. About ½ past 10 the Capn, Mr Beare & Mr Birdseye Put off & I followed soon after. Capn Martin by his exceedingly judicious behaviour to day has indeed rendered valuable service to the Company. Both the officers agreed to return to their duty heartily. I shook hands with them in the Cabin. We all returned to the shore together & they took tea & supper with me. On our return I had all the men called together & with my officers (for the first time) by my side gave them a short address in reference both to the past & to the future, gave them my rules & intentions as to their future Discipline, time of labour, general behaviour &c & they all retired pleasantly. James & Joseph Jones came in to ask for employment again. I allowed Joseph to return to his duty under his former agreement but James being a worthless fellow & this being a fair opportunity of setting a wholesome example, I would not receive him. I told him that if Mr Beare wanted an extra hand for a few days at any time he was at liberty to engage him at reduced wages & I would recover his advance as I might be able.

[ Read the full journal for: Monday 5 September 1836 ]

Tuesday 6 September 1836

[, on board the wrote.]

6th The hands went to work this morning in good style under their respective officers. I lay in bed till after 6 & on rising most sincerely rendered thanks to Almighty God for the now really happy, orderly & industrious appearance of our settlement. A more marked change I never witnessed…

… James Jones came to day to solicit employment, and I allowed Mr Beare to engage him at 2/- per day his wages under the agreement he has violated were 15/- pr week with [illegible word] &c certain employment &c – so that besides making an example the Company are gainers by his rebellion

[ Read the full journal for: Tuesday 6 September 1836 ]

Wednesday 7 September 1836

[, on board the wrote.]

Every [sic] this morning goes on pleasantly. Capn Martin with 3 of the Islanders, 2 sailors (found by me), 1 native man & 2 Women, Arms & provisions &c &c set out in my boat for the main intending however to sleep the 2 first nights on the Banks of the “Morgan” & at Kangaroo […]

[ Read the full journal for: Wednesday 7 September 1836 ]

Thursday 8 September 1836

[, on board the wrote.]

8th. A beautiful day & a happy one to me. We are all going along in excellent temper & good discipline my last rebel (Mr Schreyvogel) this morning came & asked my pardon & requested I would allow him to resume his duties. I did so immediately, & fancy that I shall not in a hurry have any of them attempt to play the same pranks. I have been severely tried for the last 6 weeks but thank God that I have been sustained & that I have good reason to suppose peace & good order is now permanently established…

[ Read the full journal for: Thursday 8 September 1836 ]

Friday 9 September 1836

[, on board the wrote.]

9th. Rose at 3 A.M. had a cup of tea and at a few minutes past 4 put off with Mr Dawsea & 5 hands for the well below Point Marsden taking a raft of casks in tow to fill with water. Landed at 15 minutes to 7 & soon after put off again with […]

[ Read the full journal for: Friday 9 September 1836 ]

Saturday 10 September 1836

[, on board the wrote.]

…Having found that there had been a good deal of petty thieving from the Company’s stores I to day dismissed the person (Neal) who had the charge (by night) of it and appointed Mr Shreyvogel to take his place.

[ Read the full journal for: Saturday 10 September 1836 ]

Tuesday 20 September 1836

[, on board the wrote.]

On the morning of the 20th the “Duke of York” & the “Lady Mary Pelham” sailed with a fair wind for Hobart Town – I parted as I had allways been, very friendly with them both – gave them such instructions, advice, & assistance as I was able – & to the Duke of York I fired a salute of 15 guns in ½ minute time – (I had but one cannon, but it was worked in excellent style) She hove to to receive my salute & returned 7 guns the other ships all hoisting their [tooltip color=”grey” text=”A flag or standard, especially a military or naval one, indicating nationality. A national flag.”] Ensigns [/tooltip] to the [tooltip color=”grey” text=”The flag of the South Australian company, which was said to have a Union Jack in the top left corner and three red kangaroos on a blue background.”] Company’s Flag [/tooltip]. Her parting signal which she hoisted when at a long distance was – “Peace be with you”. I answered it from my heart & I fervently pray God’s Blessing may rest upon our Colony. Captain Martin sails for Hobart Town in a day or two & I am busy preparing for him, besides all which I am going [tooltip color=”grey” text=”Deo Volente – God Willing”] (D.V.) [/tooltip] to be married to morrow & have a few little arrangements to make for that Solemn Ceremony.

[ Read the full journal for: Tuesday 20 September 1836 ]

Friday 23 September 1836

[, on board the wrote.]

11th to 23rd inclusive. I have been partially confined to my bed with illness – I have been also (in such time as I was able) very much engaged in arranging for the departure of the “John Pirie” &c, & these are the reasons why my Journal has been here neglected. – On the morning […]

[ Read the full journal for: Friday 23 September 1836 ]

Tuesday 27 September 1836

[, on board the wrote.]

My Dear Sir,
…Nothing is yet done (or rather nothing yet appears to have been done towards paying a Dividend, but I assure you, that most deliberately & coolly, I at this moment consider the shares of the [tooltip color=”grey” text=”South Australian Company”] S.A.C. [/tooltip] to be worth more than I ever expected they would be in so short a time – In four or five days [tooltip color=”grey” text=”Deo Volente – God willing.”] (D.V.) [/tooltip] I shall go over to Cape Jervis with the view of Discharging the “Emma” on her arrival at “Yankalilla” & there forming forthwith an Agricultural Establishment, for which purpose I think of employing that Vessel to fetch up Stock. The John Pirie must keep at work fetching Sawn Timber as there is no timber here or there that is worth a rush for building. I wish I had 3 or 4 more such handy & roomy little Craft as the “Pirie” – I could employ them so as to return us a handsome Profit & I hope you will press upon the Board the propriety of sending out more whale ships – Nothing can be more suitable than the “Lady Mary Pelham”, she is exactly the thing. – Our two whalers intend to return here next May & take the Black Whale season (in which they can hardly help doing well) & then after refreshing – Proceed on an Eight months Cruise for Sperm & this is the course all our ships (except very large ones) had better pursue…

[ Read the full journal for: Tuesday 27 September 1836 ]